Everyone in the world has felt this emotion one time or another. Especially in these times rapid technological growth the feeling of loneliness is rapidly increasing.
Firstly, we must clarify what loneliness means.
Loneliness is an emotional state. This is a state where people experience a disconnection from people around them as well as a deep feeling of emptiness, which renders their present company around them meaningless.
That person could be in a big crowd or by him/herself, married or single, young or old. They basically find it very hard to connect with others and experiences emancipation from meaningful relationships.
This is not to be confused with being alone.
Being alone does not equate to being lonely because sometimes it is good for a person to be alone and at times it could be very refreshing as the person has the opportunity to refresh, recuperate and rediscover part of our lives.
What are the common symptoms of being alone, if you are reading this article? I bet you might be feeling one of these symptoms.
- You think your problems are so unique and other people do not understand
- As a result, you feel that other people in the world have friends and you don’t
- You feel extremely self-conscious in everything you do
- When you do something wrong or incorrect, you get extremely embarrassed
- When you are in a crowd, you feel drowned by their voices
- You feel disconnected with the crowd even though you are with them
- Feeling shy and scared of others
- Experiencing low self-esteem
- Feeling angry, defensive, and critical at everything even if it is not directed at you
- Afraid of strangers and refuse to talk to engage in a hearty conversation
- Being convinced there is something wrong with you
- Feeling anxious and sad believing no one knows how miserable/isolated you feel
- Losing your capacity to be assertive and feeling "invisible"
- Refusing to accept change and don’t want to try anything new
- Feeling as though nothing else matters and contemplating suicide